08 May 2007

Stop worrying - or you'll have something to worry about!

Here’s a not-so-delightful paradox. According to a researcher at Ohio State, the habit of worrying or brooding can kill you. Here’s an excerpt from the USA Today article:

“New studies suggest that those who ruminate a lot may have higher blood pressure and heart rates, less effective immune systems, surges of stress hormones that strain the heart, more depression and perhaps even shorter life spans.”

Now, I’m no research genius, but promoting a report like this seems irresponsible.

It’s common sense that us chronic worries are likely than those (irritating) happy-go-lucky types to read an article like this. And what does reading it lead to?

More worrying.

“Am I going to die of a heart attack today?” I think to myself as I attempt to concentrate on an incredibly boring work task after reading this article. Snapping myself from thoughts of a massive stroke, I remember the key thing is NOT TO WORRY.

One full peaceful second goes by.

Then I begin worrying that maybe by worrying about not worrying I’ve worried myself right into a depressive funk– which likely will culminate in high blood pressure, or, perhaps, something random like a hunk of a tall building falling on my head, crushing me.

1 comment:

  1. So been here!

    Funny thing is, the next article they'll come out with will be something like, "New study shows that worrying actually increases your reflexes and makes you more aware of your surroundings."

    Everything's a trade off.

    ReplyDelete