04 December 2008

The Nevada Project

Some of you may recall a few weeks ago my grumbling about a homework project Sam was assigned. A homework project, incidentally, he could not possibly do himself. He's 4. But I digress... here's a picture of the final product, as it's hanging in the school hallway.

Sam's contributions:

  • picking the state
  • writing his name across the top of the board

My contributions:

  • About $10 in supplies
  • A good 3-4 hours researching, printing, cutting and gluing
  • Searching every coin jar in the house for a "Nevada" quarter
  • Consoling Jack who wanted his own map - and who tried (when he though I wasn't looking) to peel the map off the poster board
  • Coaching Sam on Nevada - where it is, what's there, etc.
  • Carrying the whole thing into school - dropping it at least twice

By all accounts, Sam did a stellar job presenting his state. Notice the “Nevada” quarter affixed to the board along the bottom? It’s been stolen twice. Not sure if Sam learned anything from this assignment. I did.


I learned -

  • I still hate homework
  • Kids are thieves

No comments:

Post a Comment