04 June 2010

Piet Mondrian - Who Knew?

Sam, the son of writers, is turning into quite the kindergarten scribe. I love reading the little notes in the margins of his school papers. "This is DUM!" (with a round circle dot to emphasize the exclamation point on the same week they learned about exclamation points).
The other day one of his margin notes caught my eye.
"Pie?" I read aloud. "Pie - ette? Pie-yet?"
Hey Sam, what did you write here, I ask. It says P-I-E-T.
He sighs and says, "It's Pete Mondrian, Mom."
Pete Mondrian? "Who's Pete Mondrian? Is that a new boy in school?"
No response. "Sam?" He looks up - stares into me with those big eyes of his. I think he thinks I'm goofing around so I make the international "huh?" gesture with my palms, shoulders and eyebrows up. (Some of you may know it as the famous "wha???? gesture).
"PIET MONDRIAN MOM!" (Because being a mom, I'm dumb AND deaf).
"You mean Pie-ette?" I ask.
"Pete! PETE!" he responds (like I know). "Pete Mondrian, mom."
I am a fountain of blank stares.
"Mom! Duh!!! Pete Mondrian. The ARTIST?! He makes paintings with lines and squares. Pete. Mon-dri-an. P.....I.....E.....T... MONDRIAN!!!!"
"Oh okay. That's great honey," I say, making a mental note to Google it later. A day or so later he brought home his very own Piet Mondrian painting from art class. Photo featured above. Apparently kindergarten has changed a lot. And when these kids get into the workforce - none of us has a chance.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha....how very hip. Sam & Pete, who would guess, huh?

    ReplyDelete