09 May 2007

Sammy'll get the spider!

After an incredibly long pre-bedtime ritual of reading books, watching a calming video and giving the boys their evening baths, I had finally – finally – gotten them both into bed. Relieved and exhausted, I walked into my bathroom, turned on my light, and to my utter horror found myself face to face with a wolf spider on the wall.
Instinctively I screamed – loudly.
Jack got there first.
“What?!”
I was pacing the hallway, wondering what to do.
“Jack,” I said, in a shaky but calm voice. “Check out the spider on the wall in there.” He walks in tentatively, looks up and says, “Hi spider!”
Sam groggily wanders in. “What is it?” he asks.
Seizing an opportunity, I say, “Ok boys. I’m glad you’re both here. There’s a spider in mommy’s bathroom and we need to get him out. Who can take this swiffer duster and get the spider and put him down the vent?”
Blank looks. No volunteers.
“Come on Sam,” I urge. “You’re my big guy. You can do it!”
“No I can’t. I can’t mommy.” He says, shaking his head. “I’m afraid of him.” I give him a hug.
“Jack, you like spiders. How about it?”

Nothing.
Desperate, I say: “Whoever gets the spider gets a lollipop!”
Jack grabs the swiffer duster and confidently strides back into the bathroom. He turns, faces the spider, looks up, raises the swiffer duster in the air like a baton, and marches right back outside chanting in a sing-song voice:
Sammy’ll get the spi-der! Sammy’ll get the spi-der!!
I wish I had it on video.

Eventually I got a broom and took care of the spider. The boys cheered me as a conquering hero.
Sam went to bed. Jack went to bed. I went to bed.
I hear a voice. It’s Jack.
“Mommy – where’s my lollipop?”

No comments:

Post a Comment