25 February 2011

Things I miss now that they know better...


My boys are growing up too fast!! I love every stage of their growth and development - but I must say there are a few things I miss. Things like: 
  • Hearing them giggle and chant “Poof-Poofity-Poof” to use their ‘magic powers’ to open and close the car’s rear windows (after I secretly release the child safety window button).
  • Running to greet me with hello kisses and hugs after a long day at school. (Instead of hugs, now it’s shrugs).
  • Their fascination with and love for bugs – even the ugly, leggy, stingy one.
  • Silly chats with “Invisible Bob” at the dinner table.
  • Their belief that the cat was mom’s assistant, sitting outside their bedroom door every night “to keep an eye on them.”
  • That it’s no big deal to invite girls to a birthday party. More girls, more gifts, right? These days, girls are “SO GROSS, MOM!”
  • Telling me every single thing. Now when I ask how their day was, I’m lucky to get a mumbled ‘fine’ or ‘terrible’ or ‘boring.’ – no details.
  • Their belief that our cable subscription doesn’t include ESPN.
  • Their faith in me as a perfect, non-flawed, beautiful, forever-young goddess. These days I’m merely human with 'lots of freckles and lines on your face, mom' who nags and sometimes even ~ yikes ~ yells.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. take lots of pictures, especially movies to remember the 'wonder years'. Been there, done that. You will always be a great writer and that will never fade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I can agree with you on missing the younger years.

    ReplyDelete