04 April 2007

Terrible Twos? Nah! Enter Threes...

I will be first to tell you I did not particularly enjoy the infant stage. I was thrilled when the twins could walk and talk.

Thankfully they reached these stages at an early age – before their first birthday. By the time they turned 2 they had pretty well mastered basic English communication and the ability to climb in and out of their car seats.

I scoffed at the notion of “Terrible Twos.” My boys were expressive, happy and mobile. My tired arms got a much –needed break from all the heavy lifting; and when they needed something they asked. What’s terrible about that?

Enter threes….

Ok, so you don’t hear much about “Terrible Threes” – and though technically the boys haven’t yet turned 3 (tho they are closing in on that milestone fast) the ‘terribles’ have begun. With expression comes complaining, shouting and (horrors) yelling at mommy!

With mobility comes the ability to charge across the room at your brother, pancaking him in pursuit of a hotwheels car. This new freedom must be wonderfully confusing for these new little people. Impulse control is a distant concept while impulse is solidly in the driver’s seat.

I see how toddlerhood is a lot like adolescence. My boys, especially Sam, will sob then laugh hysterically in the same minute; then go about playing as if nothing had happened. A whirlwind of emotion and confusion. You can almost see the brain synapses firing (or misfiring, at times).

This, too, shall pass, I tell myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment