20 January 2011

What's that noise? Duh, mummies & pirates

On a conference call at work this week, I grabbed a Wall-E notebook I brought in from home. I flipped through to find a blank page and discovered I had written a few notes the night the Chilean miners were rescued. The notes were 'quotes' from the boys as we watched the amazing rescues – one after the other – at least until bedtime. 

The announcers were recalling the miner’s harrowing weeks and days underground, and one mentioned something about cracking or creaking sounds from below.

"I think I know what the cracking sound is," Jack said. “You know in Egypt? The mummies? How they’re under there… the skeletons?? And when they move the bones crack together." He paused, "I’d wanna run right outta there."

I turned the page and the conversation continued. This time, Sam’s imagination runs wild guessing what the “cracking” sound could be.

"Underground used to be a beach and the pirates sailed there and buried a couple of chests there, and there are diamonds bouncing on the chests and the diamonds will open the chests," he said.

Then Jack, "Maybe the tunnel’s collapsing…. Or, you know Mummies."

5 comments:

  1. OMG! Thank God your kids have such great imaginations. It's a great thing and you've done a great job rearing them to be so smart and 'imaginative'. Don't ever doubt yourself. Keep up the great work and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the things kids say, they have such amazing perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this to everyone here and we just laugh and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh. I never had the presence of mind to record Rachel and Carly's goofy things. The only thing I can remember is Carly one time telling me that Diana was the Princess of the Whales.

    ReplyDelete