20 November 2007

Why I Hate The Holidays - Reason #157

Last night as I was preparing dinner in my nearly new fancy oven, the handle flew off, the spring-loaded oven door snapped open, the center glass panel fell out - a swirl of scorching hot 425 degree air came pluming out - what was left of the oven door snapped back - shaking the entire countertop and the back half of the kitchen.

Jack, who was in the kitchen at the time, screamed in terror. Sam came running over. The cat ran away.

I attempted to close the outer doors of the oven -- while steaming hot air nearly suffocated me and two toddlers were screaming in horror. It never did close.

So now, two days before Thanksgiving, and over 2 hours on the phone to Sears, my $900 stainless steel "state of the art" Kenmore oven is in several pieces. Duct tape will not even hold the door on. I can't cook. I can't bake. And since the oven warranty has just expired, I have to pay someone to fix the clearly-defective appliance (risking life and limb if the door decides to blow off at some point in the future) or shell out more money to purchase a new model (NOT KENMORE) and have this nightmare removed from my home.

Guess we're ordering out tonight and the next several weeks.

Happy freaking holidays, courtesy of Sears.

No comments:

Post a Comment