04 November 2008

Scary bears and cut-down trees - Election 2008

Walking briskly last evening to the community rec center for our weekly swimming lesson, the boys’ chatter turned to scary bears for reasons known only to them.

“There are no bears,” I assured them.

“Yeah, because Sarah Palin shoots the bears,” Sam said, matter-of-factly, and completely out of the blue.

Jack chimes in conspiratorially: “ANNNNNDDD,” he announces, “She SAWS DOWN TREES!

I catch Sam’s eye – it’s clear the two of them are trying to provoke a reaction. In their DNA they certainly sense that as much as I hate hunting, I hate deforestation more.

“Oh that’s not true Jack,” I said, hoping to change the subject and redirect the sideways glances I detect. (Palin supporters, no doubt.)

"But she DOES SHOOT bears mom!" Sam said, loudly, with urgency.

“Yeah, mom," Jack nods in agreement. "And saws down TREES!"

“Not trees - ” I try….

“Yes!” they proclaim, giggling hysterically. They’ve won.

I avoid eye contact with the onlookers as we make our way into the (bear-free) natatorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment