21 January 2010

Maybe they can teach me how the TV parenting controls work

The boys wanted to watch a DVR show in the playroom. I needed to keep working so I gave Jack a quick, albeit multi-step, semi-complicated “how to” lesson on using the remote to access ‘Phineas and Ferb’ from the DVR. (Slacker mom alert, I know).

“Ok, see this remote?” I ask.
Yes, he says and nods his head.
“Push this button – menu – see M-E-N-U?”
Nods.
“Then push this right arrow over to highlight ‘recorded TV’ – see that?”

Yeah.

“So then you have to press the down arrow – see the down arrow here – and you have to pick the first item. That’s ‘browse recordings.’ Got it?”

Yeah.

“Now highlight ‘browse recordings, ok?”

Ok

“And click OK – see, here, the Ok button?”
Ok
“Now, Jack, this is important. Listen to me. Once you’re here on this screen, don’t just highlight the first show here – you need to push the down arrow and scoll a bit to the second title – see where it says ‘Phineas and Ferb’?”
Yeah. (Starts to run off)
“Wait, Jack. Now this is important. Do NOT start the first show!”

(Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura)
“Do you hear me? I do not want you to start any other shows. Ok?”
I won’t!

“I mean it Jack.” (I give him The Stern Mother look.)

He rolls his eyes and zooms downstairs.

I wait about 4 seconds for the inevitable scream of frustration as he struggles to recall the lengthy instructions. Nothing. I listen harder. And… nothing…

In fact, it’s oddly quiet down there.
A moment later I hear the familiar theme song, “There’s 104 days of summer vacation and…”

I experience a millisecond of anxiety imaging “Conspiracy Theory” set up as picture-in-picture. This gets me out of my seat down the stairs.

Stunned, I witness my kids quietly watching P&F from the DVR. My kids. Quiet.

I’m amazed – he followed every step! He listened! He remembered! HE PAID ATTENTION!

Next time he flashes those big brown eyes and says he can’t put his legos away because it’s “too hard” and “I can’t remember where they go, mom” I’ll know better.

Oh yes, I’m onto you my little evil genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment