08 August 2009

Growing pains

The kids start kindergarten in a few weeks and I couldn’t be happier.


(pause)...(pause)


Ok, that’s a huge lie. I’m a mess. Not outwardly, of course, but inside I’m a wreck. An absolute basket case.


I’ll be at the office absorbed with some task and, out of nowhere, a wave of kindergarten-related sadness engulfs me. Tears form, I swallow and try my best to push the grief aside. Often I can. Sometimes, though, I can't.


That's when I imagine time speeding by as the boys morph - in an instant - from young children into young men. I remind myself this is just kindergarten, after all. A natural, normal childhood milestone.


Yeah, well… All I want to do is freeze time, put a bubble around the three of us and keep everything exactly as it is, right now. Is that too much to ask?!!


Of course it is.


Maybe seasoned parents can explain it to me – these unexpected parental growing pains. (Sniff)


Never fear - I’ll get past it. Someday soon I’ll probably even laugh about it.


Just... not yet.




1 comment:

  1. When my boss took her daughter to Kindergarten the first day, after dropping her daughter off, she sat in her car and cried.

    It's a normal parental reaction.

    The most comforting thing I can think of to say is that even though Rachel and Carly are now teenagers, there still moments when I'm just blown away by Rachel's effervescence and energy, and by Carly's sweet spirit.

    Part of who each of us were as a child always remains with us.

    ReplyDelete