06 January 2009

Lost data deep freeze

You know that horrible sinking ‘this-can’t-be-happening’ feeling? I had it last week as realization set in that my hard drive – and every single file on it – was irretrievably lost. I called the help desk about a half dozen times, asking (begging) for assistance as I peered at the blue screen - willing it to work. After a sympathetic crew provided false hope, the last guy gently said, “Laura, it is gone. You must accept this.”

Bad vectors – bad sectors – I don’t know. Either way, I lost everything I hadn’t backed up. That includes most 2008 photos, and loads of critical work documents. Because the drive is encrypted, I’m told any “good” data left cannot be retrieved. I kept the bad hard drive anyway. I put it in an envelope with the username, password and the words, “DO NOT DISCARD!” scribbled in big letters.

Cryonics…” I thought, as I set the drive on the shelf. My hope is not unlike those who attempt to cheat death by getting their heads frozen. Maybe someday they’ll find a cure. Nevermind the body. Details, mere details in the quest for a shred of hope in the face of hopelessness. I am the same. A headless hopeless case of bad sectors.

For now...

No comments:

Post a Comment