13 July 2007

Mom, Hillary's calling....

I was looking at my caller ID records this week and noticed a call from metro DC, name: Hillary Clinton.

My first thought was, ‘Wow, that’s smart.’ My second thought was, “Wow, that takes guts.” Let’s break it down:

  1. I am a Republican. Card carrying, even. As a young PR flack for the Ohio House of Representatives Republicans, I was among the small group of staffers who helped the GOP regain House leadership after 22 years of Democrat rule in the landmark 1994 elections. I left politics shortly thereafter, but the damage was done. I had guzzled the kool-aid.

  2. When I get calls now from candidates, it’s never a Democrat. Heck, when I get junk mail from candidates – it’s a GOP’er. I’m on a list. A few lists, actually.

  3. My home phone number, however, is unlisted.

This means the Hillary camp purchased and likely cross-referenced lists of Republican women in “decision-critical” states and targeted us for phone calls by her campaign staff. She even changed the campaign caller ID to display her personal name – knowing many of us are too busy to answer our phones – but that we do check caller ID frequently. Even a missed call is an attention getter. Damn, she’s good!

Knowing all of this, AND knowing how expensive it is to purchase specific lists, conduct cross referencing of said lists via mega databases; and the time, effort, and personnel required to CALL potential voters… This is an ingenious strategic move.

I haven’t heard a peep from John McCain or Rudy. Even Mitt hasn’t sent so much as a postcard. Props, Hillary, you got my attention. Now, if I get a text message from Barack or an evite from John Edwards, I may need to rethink this whole “I’m a Republican” thing.

Let the games begin.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! I can post a comment! Don't be swayed by Hilary's smarmy tactics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well guess what, Ms. Thang... After attempting to hijack our conversation the other night with her "call waiting" buzz in, Hillary called AGAIN last night. And you know how I roll... when it comes to boys or politicians - you pick up on the third call. (But only on the third call). If anyone can turn me to the Dark Side, it will be Hillary. Time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things:

    1) Hillary couldn't even fix the healthcare problem in this country how can she possibly run the whole show efficiently and effectively?

    2) Do we REALLY want a menopausal women with her finger on the big, red, nuke button?!?

    ReplyDelete